Sunday, September 30, 2012

31 days of teaching toddlers theology :: day 1 / intro

Welcome! If this is your first time here, scroll down to read day one.  Otherwise, here are the current links to the rest of the series: Teaching Toddlers Theology.

Day 2- it starts with us

Day 3- are we off the hook?

Day 4- daily "quiet" time?

Day 5- choosing a bible

Day 6- lifestyle parenting

Day 7- kids are sponges

Day 8- teach me to pray

Day 9- singing scripture

Day 10- bedtime routines

Day 11- interactive play

Day 12- what about dad? part 1 {guest post}

Day 13- what about dad? part 2 {guest post}

Day 14- church: the missing element for spiritual growth {guest post}

Day 15- our kids need the church

Day 16- holidays

Day 17- when toddlers aren't interested

Day 18- connecting the Bible stories to the ONE story of Scripture

Day 19- creation

Day 20- the fall

Day 21- the flood

Day 22- moses and the exodus

Day 23- josh, sam and dave!

Day 24- jonah

Day 25- baby Jesus

Day 26- Jesus' life and ministry 

Day 27- Jesus death and resurrection + a recipe

Day 28- sharing the gospel

Day 29- Jesus' ascension

Day 30- some resources 

Day 31- a holy work

* * * * * * * * * *


The Nester is hosting the 31 Day Challenge again this year, where bloggers can choose one topic to write about everyday for 31 Days. Anyone can join in! Just link up here

This is my first year being a part of this challenge, and that's exactly what it seems to me- a challenge! It seems daunting to post about one topic for every day for thirty-one days, but I'm up for the challenge!

When I was considering what topic to write on for these next 31 days, I kept thinking about things that fit with my new blog, things that I'm called to do right now! I mean, if I'm going to write about it for 31 days, I have to be passionate about it! 



The main priority of my Homemade Calling is my high calling to raise children that know and love God! I thought about how much I love teaching my 2 year old son, Titus, about God and knew that this was what I had to write about! 

Teaching my kids about God is the BEST part of being a mom! I love making the most of every opportunity and situation to explain spiritual things to Titus! He just soaks it all in and has an amazing memory! I love to see the understanding in his eyes, and see the spiritual lessons I teach him, become real in his heart and mind. He already loves Jesus and His Bible, has such sweet prayers, and his heart is already so full of child-like faith! I simply find so much joy in this part of parenting!

 My husband and I take very seriously our responsibility for the spiritual investment in our kids lives. We center our lives around the Word of God, and hold the study and teaching of it in high regard. And we believe developing in our kids a love for the Word and for the Lord are the most important things we can do as parents!

{photo credit}


Since I'm the one who spends the most time with the kids, I feel this "lifestyle" kind of teaching about God and his Word rests heavily on me! I take so much joy in this responsibility, although it is humbling and overwhelming at times! It's not all catechisms and KJV! :) Teaching kids who God is, what the Bible says, and how to have a relationship with Jesus can be FUN! It should happen all through out the day, and by making the most of every opportunity! It's never too young to start! 

So I want to spend this next 31 days sharing what I've done to begin this love for the Lord and His Word in my young 2 year old. It is such a joy to teach "theology" to toddlers and to see their love for Jesus and the Bible begin and grow!


I hope whether you are a parent of a toddler, or know someone you can pass this on to, that you'll join me this next 31 days!

11 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following along. {Popping in from The Nester} I have a 6 year old, a 4 year old, and an {almost} 2 year old. I love talking to my kids about Jesus, and can't wait to pick up some new ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to read your series! You're the first one I clicked on at the Nester's link up. Such a great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what your posts are about.

    Anna
    askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic, Mary Beth! I'm looking forward to reading and learning from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this topic. Thanks for being brave enough to teach this for 31 days (and for you kid's whole lives!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this topic! I hope to follow along with you!
    In the meantime, your topic reminded me of this post:

    http://www.weakandloved.com/2008/09/toddler-theology.html

    It should give you a smile!
    Nice to meet you!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that! Loved that post! That's way too funny... and true! :)

      Delete
  7. Your topic caught my attention at the nester's link-up, and I'm looking forward to following along! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it's going to be really great! I don't have any kids (yet) since I am a newlywed, but I teach Sunday school and I think it's really important for me to start really getting to think about how I will teach my future babies about God's word. Thanks so much for starting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your perspective! I teach Sunday School too, and I LOVE my 2 and 3 years olds! I think having a 2 year old has helped me be a better teacher because I understand a little better where they are at and how to explain these! I'm having a total blast doing it!

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to your 31 dayers!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what others have to say! Please share below!