Tuesday, October 30, 2012

day 30 :: some resources

This is Day 30 in a 31 day series on Teaching Toddlers Theology. To catch up on where we've been, or view our menu of posts, go to this intro post




Wow! Tomorrow's the last day! It's been a joy to give this topic focused attention this month! I don't know if there was a better topic I could have picked to spend this much of my attention and energies on! I'd love to hear how this series has helped you, or anything you'd like to add to what I've shared this month!

Today I want to share a book and some blog posts that have been very formative for me as a mom! I was going to share huge list of links, but I'm just having a hard time processing and coming up with them all, so I just decided to go with a few links that have been especially challenging and encouraging spiritually in the past year or two for me as a mom!


Loving the Little Years: motherhood in the trenches  by Rachel Jankovic

I highly recommend this book to every mom! A super thought-provoking, challenging, encouraging book by a godly young mom who is "in the trenches" herself with 6 little ones! Rachel has such a way to helping you have a more eternal & godly perspective on your life and role as a mother. Here's what she has to say:  

I didn’t write this book because mothering little ones is easy for me. I wrote it because it isn’t. I know that this is a hard job, because I am right here in the middle of it. I know you need encouragement because I do too.
This is not a tender reminiscence from someone who had children so long ago that she only remembers the sweet parts. At the time of writing this, I have three children in diapers, and I can recognize the sound of hundreds of toothpicks being dumped out in the hall.
This is a small collection of thoughts on mothering young children for when you are motivated, for when you are discouraged, for the times when discipline seems fruitless, and for when you are just plain old tired.
The opportunities for growth abound here but you have to be willing. You have to open your heart to the tumble. As you deal with your children, deal with yourself always and first. This is what it looks like, and feels like, to walk as a mother with God.

Rachel writes for the blog Femina- there are LOTS of great posts there, so definitely check it out!


 Blogs Posts:
Forgiveness for Moms who fail 
Motherhood is a calling (and where your children rank)
The Littleness of Motherhood


Here are some of the resources I've linked in several of my past posts this month:
Scripture put to Music
Selecting a children's bible
Some Holiday Ideas
Sharing the Gospel- Part 1 & Part 2

What are some books, blogs, articles, etc that have been the most helpful, encouraging, challenging, and insightful to you as a parent recently?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what others have to say! Please share below!